Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hostess Manners

Don’t you just love a party? I could hang out and eat and laugh and act silly just about any ole time. We had friends over for a Labor Day cookout. We did the meat and veggies and everyone brought side dishes and drinks. We are all long-time friends and everyone knows their way around my kitchen.

I couldn’t wait to try out my new baskets for the grill. Got ‘em at Lowe’s. Coolest things. I cut up kabob sized meat and veggies, marinated them over night in a lime barbeque and put them in the well oiled baskets. And then - to the grill! We stirred them twice and what a feast! I poured them out on the table over brown paper on top of butcher paper and put all the side dishes around.

We called the gang to the kitchen and everyone dug in. Mom usually will stay seated and let me serve her food. As I was running around I heard over the buzz of voices…aghummm. I continued to get ice in the cooler, add some forks to the table, ….a little louder…

“Aghummm.”

“Oh, Mom, would you like me to get your plate now?”

“Yes, that would be very nice. Not too many beans though.”

So I break line and fix her a plate. She loves the hubbub of activity and the service during our get-togethers. “Oh my goodness what a lot of food! I don’t think I can eat it all.”

“Do you want something to drink?”

“Water is fine.”

The guys were hanging outside finishing their drinks so I dug in with the ladies and came to the living room to find a seat. My mouth was preparing me, my mind savoring the flavor all the way from the kitchen to the chair….and then…….

“Good heavens, K! You haven’t served your guests and you have just seated your self and started eating. Where are your manners?”

“Mom, they will all serve themselves. That’s what we always do.”

“Well, that is probably what you always do because you have always neglected to serve your guests. You should be embarrassed.”

I think I took my first bite – I don’t know.

Is guilt the bitter herb of patience? ~K

No comments:

Post a Comment